How do you conduct a smooth and impressive conference? One might think planning a conference is a lot simpler than planning a concert or a wedding, but there are a lot of details to be considered as the name of the company is on the line if somehow it goes badly. A conference can also win the company new clients.
Here is a checklist of a few pointers to follow to make sure the conference goes as smoothly as possible:
- Topic. What is the topic of the conference? What is it for?
- Venue. Decide where the conference will be held and what seating arrangements will be made. Most conferences are held in a conference room of a hotel, but if the budget does not allow it, holding it in an office or co-working space can be more economical.
- Interpreters. If the conference include international attendees who only understand their native language, simultaneous interpreters will be needed. Simultaneous interpreters would be a better choice than the usual translators as they can translate two languages at the same time. It will save a lot of time than having to wait for a speaker to finish a sentence or two before it gets interpreted. Make sure the venue has enough space for the interpreters’ booth to sit in. Make sure to have enough microphones and earphones for all the guests.
- Equipment. Beside microphones and earphones, find out if projectors, sound and lighting are needed. Clear visuals and sound can make all the difference in understanding the topic and message perfectly. Bad audio and visuals can ruin the whole point of having the conference; that is why hiring a professional is recommended. Companies such as MAV for Melbourne audio and visual can provide a client a one stop service for these tasks.
- Staff. Make sure there are enough staff with different responsibilities to go around before, during and after the conference. They should be well trained and know exactly what their task is in order to solve problems on the spot (if any arises). They will be able to guide, help and assist guests promptly.
- Food and beverages. Some conferences provide some refreshments for their guests. Some cookies and coffee might suffice for a short conference break, but sometimes longer conferences require meals as it sometimes goes well into dinner time. To make this hassle-free, caterers can be hired for both short breaks and dinner. Make sure to let them know the number of guests attending as there should be enough for everyone.
- Souvenirs. It is nice to give out souvenirs as a thank you gift to the attendees. It can also be a promotional tactic. Giving out souvenirs that have the name and logo of the company holding the conference can be a good reminder of what kind of product or service it is offering. Address and contact number can also be put on them, so it will be easy for the guests to recall and contact the company when needed. There are many companies around that cater to this need. They can customize the type of souvenir and what is written on them.
This checklist is short and simple. If for some reason it is too overwhelming to plan everything yourself, hiring a professional event organizer could be a choice to save time and spare yourself the headache.